How To Do & Schedule Showings
For the most part we don't have too many issues with unlicensed agents and people stealing things. However, you must be careful!
When an agent calls to schedule a showing:
- Ask the agent for the "i.d. number". This is the license number we all get from the state. Each time an agent shows a home they are ALWAYS ready to give their id number.
- You can confirm their status with the state here http://www.dleg.state.mi.us/verify.htm You can do a quick search here. All agents that are active should be here.
- Call the agent's office if you wish to verify the agent actually works there.
- Leave the combo to your lockbox with the agent's office if you wish. This way you know for sure it will only be given to that agent if they work there. This is a nice little trick.
- Email the agent next day for feedback if you wish.
- Never turn a showing down!!!
What to have at your home for ALL showings:
- An updated print out of your listing. If you want to use another printout that is fine too.
- Sellers disclosures and lead based paint disclosures stapled to the brochure describing your home. This package should be on your kitchen counter in plain view so they can take one.
- An 8 1/2 x 11 printout taped to the front hall or left on your kitchen counter that says, "Please remove your shoes".
- Another piece of paper left in the kitchen next to the printout that reads: Please leave your card and turn the lights off when you leave.
- Be sure your home is uncluttered.
- Make sure all of your lights are on.
- Simmer some spices or have candles going to create a nice smell in your home. There is nothing that turns people off than a home with an odd smell.
That's it, you're on your way to the perfect showing.